Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Pockejtke – We need to find our sweet spot!

Some of the happiest memories I have of my childhood were spent on my Grandpa and Grandma Upah’s farm.  I can remember spending a week with them every summer and more holidays than I can count.  In the summers I would wake to my grandma making a plate full of bacon and eggs.   I would chase it with coffee that would be heavily loaded with milk and sugar to the point it did not really resemble coffee, but it was great! Then I usually was allowed to watch some cartoons and the old school Adam West, Batman TV show.  

Throughout the day my grandma would let me help her pick food in the garden, feed the bottle calf, catch and tame kittens, play with the dog, show me how to butcher chickens, and help her bake delicious desserts (more on this to come).   At the end of a long day in the field my grandpa would let me ride the tractor with him to “help” him do chores, which included feeding the livestock and pets.  After dinner, which if we were lucky included a trip to town to hit Hardees and Dairy Queen, he would drive his orange and white ford pick-up truck to his pasture so we could count the cows.   The best part of this drive was when grandpa drove up the steepest hill in the pasture and then would hit the gas as we went flying down the hill hitting all the bumps and laughing all the way down.  When we would return home he would show me the projects he was working on in his wood shop, many of which are still in my house today.  He is also the man that taught me how to fish and we had many conversations while trying to catch the next big one.  This man is one of the most special men I have ever known and I miss him every day.  Sometimes at holidays I catch myself thinking about him sitting in his rocking chair saying pockejtke (which is Czech for, wait/hold on) when we would ask him for help or assistance in putting a new toy together. After we patiently or impatiently did so he would call us over and slip $5 in our pocket and tell us not to tell our mom and spend whatever amount of time we needed with him. 



The reason I share these memories is because of an event that recently got me thinking about one of these experiences as it relates to our role in education.  My grandma used to let me help her occasionally bake as I mentioned above.  She often would make a Czech dessert, called Kolaches.  Every year Cedar Rapids, hosts a Kolache festival and they too are very good, but they are not my grandmas.   I am sure if she wanted to she could still make them the way I remember them.  The best part of the process was filling the “sweet spot” in the Kolache with the different fillings – apple, cherry, prune, apricot, and my favorite – poppy seed.  Recently when I was at the Kolache festival I got to thinking that in our careers all of us need to try to find and function in our sweet spot as much as possible.  Some authors and researches have called this experience flow.   Athletes most recently like Tim Howard of the USMNT refer to it as being in the zone. 
Have you ever asked yourself how often are you operating in your sweet spot at school? To function at a high level we need to and as leaders need to help staff members operate in their sweet spot for a great portion of their day. This is really about being passionate and committed to your work and having external barriers removed so that you can get there!  There are some obvious challenges and frustrating aspects about our work, but I love what I do and cannot imagine being in a role that did not involve helping people in some way.  If you are not operating in this zone then ask yourself, why not? What is holding you back?  How can you change?


Better yet, how can we change the experience for our students? How many of them operate at this high level throughout the day? The more I thought about it the answer is a little scary.  I thought to myself pockejtke, I am not sure that many of them do for the majority of the day/week at school.  Rather how many do we hear say they are bored or disillusioned with what we ask them to do at school.  I feel strongly about the fact that we have to work to change this.  We have to be better.  We have to change.  We have to give students a voice to channel their passion!  They need to have the same opportunity to work in the zone, flow, or sweet spot.  Let’s challenge ourselves to find our sweet spot and give students the chance to do the same thing! Please share with myself and others what you are doing at your school to increase these opportunities for students.



Be Great and Get Better!

Matt 

2 comments:

  1. Matt:
    I, too, descend from a long line of Bohemian and Czech Blood; ingraining the scent of fresh, warm Kolaches in my fondest of memories. I will forgive you for preferring poppyseed to prune, and will not even touch which grandmother's recipe would reign supreme. Your analogy was spot on for me!
    It provided a glimpse into your childhood summers spent on the farm to the gooey goodness of the sweet spot found in Czech desserts that you now passing on to your own children connects the reader to you personally and invites them to make parallels to their own lives through food, sports, Daniel Pink, education, etc. (and I bet you didn't even know you were using a literacy theory coined by Rosenblatt which demands a personal connection to the text).
    Your call to action is noble. We, as adults enjoy life better when in the "zone", why shouldn't the same considerations be given to our students. You invite responders to share their own ideas, provide insight on how education can help invigorate learning when students find their "Sweet Spot". Perhaps it's through aeronautics that a student may find passion-driven learning, contemporary music, or even baking,,, desserts. And if that is the case, be sure to invite me up for the tasting, and please make sure that prune filling is used in mine, you know how fiery those Bohemian girls can be!
    -Shaelynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,
    Excellent work, my man. You are so correct, we have to get better, and look for ways to reach all of our kids by listening to their voices. Great post; thank you for sharing. Be great and get better.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete