Monday, January 6, 2014

PLN Blog Challenge



The thanks for this post goes to Aaron Becker @aaron_becker32. You passed the challenge on and it hit me at the exact right time. I have been neglecting getting to my blog but I am excited to do a better job this semester.

Here are the Rules: 
1. Acknowledge the nomination blogger. 
2. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
3. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
4.  List 11 bloggers.  They should be bloggers you believe deserve a little recognition.
5.  Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate and let all the bloggers know they been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)

11 Random Facts About Me

1.   I have a grandma (Degner) that is taller than me.  The mother of my father is from an extremely tall lineage.  I also have an uncle that is 6’8” and a cousin Joe 6’6” that played basketball at UNI and professionally in South America and Europe. 
2.  I am a die-hard Chicago sports fan although you may have deciphered this one from my tweets.  I love the Cubs but we are in full blow rebuild mode.  Remember me for this one though, we will get it right with the current management structure.  The Bears are my next love and I too think the pieces are in place for a championship soon.  I fell in love with the Bulls because of Jordan and watch them only when the Bears are out of it.  Finally, the Blackhawks get turned on only in the playoffs, but I did watch every game of the Stanley Cup playoffs last year.  My wife thinks I have an issue.  I probably do. J  My son probably will too.
3.  I love Mexican food and while I worked for @casas_jimmy in Bettendorf I was treated to some of the best Mexican I have ever had prepared by his Mom! So disappointed I wasn’t close enough to get the Christmas time delivery. 
4.  I have a love of swimming pools and swimming.  Although I never have swum competitively I have been a lifeguard, swim lesson instructor, and pool manager. 
5.  I graduate with a class of 48 people from North Tama High School in Traer, Iowa.  Ever since that time I have had a preference for larger communities.  I enjoyed my time but also enjoy some level of anonymity.
6.  I was a chubby (fat) kid growing up.  I share this because I think it has given me a level of higher level of sensitivity when dealing with bullying situations as a principal. 
7.  I suppose every Principal feels this way, but I think I would be such a better teacher now.  I almost wish I could go back and help all of those students I had and do it better. 
8.  Both of my grandfathers were farmers. I think this taught me a lot about work ethic and appreciating what you have and not being concerned with what your neighbor has.
9. My parents never allowed me to think I wouldn’t go to college.  I was the first one in my immediate family to get a four year degree and they are responsible for that. 
10.  I love to go fishing.  I enjoy the quiet and the simplicity in it all, but it allows me time to think and also prevents me from trying to do something else. 
11.  I recently got a smoker for Father’s Day and it has turned into my new hobby. I hope to take on a lot of different meats and woods this Spring. 

My answers to @aaron_becker32
1. My favorite book to read as a kid was anything Matt Christopher. I loved his sports stories. 
2. My top two favorite athletes would be Andre Dawson and Kerry Wood.  I know they both lack a world championship but I have too many great memories from standout performances by both of them. 
3. My favorite teacher was Mrs. Robb.  She never accepted my good enough when that could have been better than most in her classes. 
4. I hosted a party in 2006 when the Bears made it.  Everything we served was blue and orange. So I suppose that sums it up. Blueberry ice cream, hot wings, cheese balls, you get the idea, right?
5. Leach Lake Minnesota.  As long as you like to be on the water.  My brother and I used to ride up in the back of my parents truck with a mattress and topper over top. 
6. Definitely go to Ireland.  Formerly a history teacher and history major in college I loved Irish history and also love Guinness.  I would also like to go visit Africa and the boys home my father in law started in Mombasa, Kenya. 
7. I would hang out with JFK.  I think the office of the presidency has a tremendous amount of intrigue.  I also think with his age he would have an interesting perspective. 
8. I like to spend as much of it as possible with my wife and kids.  My wife Kate works at the University of Iowa.  Jack (7), Liz (6), and Alice (2) get my time when I am home from school. 
9. “Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it.” President Dwight D. Eisenhower
10.  I really want to go to ISTE.  I am heading back to NASSP this year and had a great time with @casas_jimmy last year, but really am looking forward to getting to ISTE this summer. 
11. I would blow it up.  I think we need to rethink the traditional structure.  I often get frustrated at the rate of change we have to accept or work through in our current system. 

Bloggers
1. @gcouros
2. @patrickmlarkin
3. @jasonmmarkey
4. @casas_jimmy
5. @joykelly05
6. @BHS_TL
7. @christopherlike
8. @colinwikan
9. @mcleod
10. @danpbutler
11. @benjamingilpin

My 11 Questions
1. What is your stress reliever?
2. What Twitter chats do you participate in? Why?
3. What was the best conference you ever attended?
4. What is your best educational experience?
5. What is your worst educational experience?
6. What are your favorite athletic teams?
7. If you were not in education what would you do for a career?
8. What is your most noteworthy accomplishment as an educator?
9. What is one book you would recommend to others? What are you reading right now?  
10. What would you tell someone that hasn’t bought into social media as an educator?

11. What year will the Cubs win the World Series? 

No comments:

Post a Comment